Re: Help with authentication on Debain/Ubuntu installation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Help with authentication on Debain/Ubuntu installation
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/21/19 8:12 AM, stan wrote:
Please reply to list also
Ccing list.
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 07:56:10AM -0800, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 11/21/19 6:35 AM, stan wrote:

>>> If the 1st rule matches, I am thinking this will override any rule I put in
>>> after such as:
>>>
>>> local all postgres md5
>>>
>>> Is my understanding of this correct?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> The question is whether you really need a password connection to a local
>> socket or not?
>>
>> If so then you will need to make the change and deal with any scripts that
>> are expecting a password free socket connection.
>>
>> If not leave it alone. If you want to test password connection then use a -h
>> localhost to get a host connection.
>>

> Ugly. Thanks though I think I can skin this cat with a dfferent tool. I am
> going to try setting te needed users as the posgres db superuser.

I would avoid that if at all possible, a superuser can wreak a lot of
havoc intentionally or unintentionally.

It would help if you could spell out what you want to achieve, as I am
sure it has been done before by multiple people on this list.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com