Re: fascinating article on postgresql mailing lists - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Verite
Subject Re: fascinating article on postgresql mailing lists
Date
List pgsql-general
Vincent Veyron wrote:

> I find it strange that
>
> 'Probability that a new thread gets a response'
>
> sits below 60% for the 'general' list

This seems indeed too low.

I happen to collect these messages in a database since mid-2005. As a point
of comparison, the numbers I get until today for pgsql-general are 3348
messages that appear to be outside of any thread (no "In-Reply-To" field or
"References" field that points to it, and subject does not start with "Re:"),
the total number of messages being 110233, in 19855 distinct threads.

So at least in this time period, I can't see how it could be said that
there's a 40% probability of not getting a reply. If we consider that there
are 3348 failed attempts at spawning a thread vs 19855 successful attempts,
the ratio would be about 6:1, or a 17% probability of getting no public
response.

Best regards,
--
Daniel