Re: Detailed release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Detailed release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep 14, 2024 at 08:37:31PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2024 at 12:39:28PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I applied this patch to PG 17.  You can see the results at:
> >
> >     https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-17.html
> >
> > The community doc build only shows the master branch, which is PG 18,
> > and the PG 17 docs are only built before the release.
> >
> > I changed the patch to use the section symbol "§" instead of showing
> > the hashes.  The hashes seemed too detailed.  Does anyone see a better
> > symbol to use from here?
> >
> >     http://www.zipcon.net/~swhite/docs/computers/browsers/entities_page.html
> >
> > I think we are limited to the HTML entities listed on that page. I also
> > removed the brackets and the period you added at the end of the text.
>
> I wrote the attached Perl script that automatically adds commit links.
> I tested it against PG 12-17 and the results were good. I plan to add
> this script to all branches and run it on all branch release notes in a
> few days.

I have added the Perl script, added instructions on when to run the
script, and ran the script on all release notes back to PG 12.  I think
we can call this item closed.

  When a patient asks the doctor, "Am I going to die?", he means
  "Am I going to die soon?"