Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep  7, 2024 at 11:55:09AM +0200, Álvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2024-Sep-05, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > That seems more infrastructure/extension author stuff which isn't
> > normally mentioned in the release notes.  I think such people really
> > need to look at all the commit messages.
>
> Are you saying all extension authors should be reading the complete git
> log for every single major release?  That's a strange position to take.
> Isn't this a good fit for "E.1.3.10. Source Code"?

Yes.  There are so many changes at the source code level it is unwise to
try and get them into the main release notes.  If someone wants to
create an addendum, like was suggested for pure performance
improvements, that would make sense.