Re: optimizing pg_upgrade's once-in-each-database steps - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: optimizing pg_upgrade's once-in-each-database steps
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Aug 04, 2024 at 07:19:57PM +0100, Ilya Gladyshev wrote:
> -- End of review --

Thanks for the review.  I've attempted to address all your feedback in v8
of the patch set.  I think the names could still use some work, but I
wanted to get the main structure in place before trying to fix them.

> Regarding keeping the connections, the way I envisioned it entailed passing
> a list of connections from one check to the next one (or keeping a global
> state with connections?). I didn't concretely look at the code to verify
> this, so it's just an abstract idea.

My main concern with doing something like that is it could require
maintaining a huge number of connections when there are many databases.
GUCs like max_connections would need to be set accordingly.  I'm a little
dubious that the gains would be enough to justify it.

--
nathan

Attachment