Re: Better error message when --single is not the first arg to postgres executable - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: Better error message when --single is not the first arg to postgres executable
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 05, 2024 at 11:38:48PM -0400, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 3:18 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Could we remove the requirement that --single must be first?  I'm not
>> thrilled about adding a list of "must be first" options that needs to stay
>> updated, but given this list probably doesn't change too frequently, maybe
>> that's still better than a more invasive patch to allow specifying these
>> options in any order...
>
> It would be nice, and I briefly looked into removing the "first"
> requirement, but src/backend/tcop/postgres.c for one assumes that --single
> is always argv[1], and it seemed not worth the extra effort to make it work
> for argv[N] instead of argv[1]. I don't mind it being the first argument,
> but that confusing error message needs to go.

I spent some time trying to remove the must-be-first requirement and came
up with the attached draft-grade patch.  However, there's a complication:
the "database" option for single-user mode must still be listed last, at
least on systems where getopt() doesn't move non-options to the end of the
array.  My previous research [0] indicated that this is pretty common, and
I noticed it because getopt() on macOS doesn't seem to reorder non-options.
I thought about changing these to getopt_long(), which we do rely on to
reorder non-options, but that conflicts with our ParseLongOption() "long
argument simulation" that we use to allow specifying arbitrary GUCs via the
command-line.

This remaining discrepancy might be okay, but I was really hoping to reduce
the burden on users to figure out the correct ordering of options.  The
situations in which I've had to use single-user mode are precisely the
situations in which I'd rather not have to spend time learning these kinds
of details.

[0] https://postgr.es/m/20230609232257.GA121461%40nathanxps13

--
nathan