Re: CheckMyDatabase some error messages in two lines. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: CheckMyDatabase some error messages in two lines.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 08:00:00AM +0800, jian he wrote:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/error-style-guide.html#ERROR-STYLE-GUIDE-FORMATTING
> "Don't end a message with a newline."
>

> accidentally, I found some error messages in the function
> CheckMyDatabase spread into two lines.
> so i try to consolidate them into one line.

> -                 errdetail("The database was initialized with LC_COLLATE \"%s\", "
> -                           " which is not recognized by setlocale().", collate),
> +                 errdetail("The database was initialized with LC_COLLATE \"%s\", which is not recognized by
setlocale().",collate),

Both approaches produce the same message.  With the existing code, the two
string literals will be concatenated without newlines.  It is probably
split into two lines to avoid a long line in the source code.

--
nathan