Re: Better error message when --single is not the first arg to postgres executable - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: Better error message when --single is not the first arg to postgres executable
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 05, 2024 at 02:51:05PM -0400, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> Please find attached a quick patch to prevent this particularly bad error
> message for running "postgres", when making the common mistake of
> forgetting to put the "--single" option first because you added an earlier
> arg (esp. datadir)

Could we remove the requirement that --single must be first?  I'm not
thrilled about adding a list of "must be first" options that needs to stay
updated, but given this list probably doesn't change too frequently, maybe
that's still better than a more invasive patch to allow specifying these
options in any order...

--
nathan