Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 09:40:28AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2024-05-18 11:13:54 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Please see the email I just posted.  There are three goals we have to
> > adjust for:
> >
> > 1.  short release notes so they are readable
> > 2.  giving people credit for performance improvements
> > 3.  showing people Postgres cares about performance
> >
> > I would like to achieve 2 & 3 without harming #1.  My experience is if I
> > am reading a long document, and I get to a section where I start to
> > wonder, "Why should I care about this?", I start to skim the rest of
> > the document.
>
> I agree keeping things reasonably short is important. But I don't think you're
> evenly applying it as a goal.
>
> Just skimming the notes from the end, I see
> - an 8 entries long pg_stat_statements section

What item did you want to remove?  Those are all user-visible changes.

> - multiple entries about "Create custom wait events for ..."

Well, those are all in different sections, so how can they be merged,
unless I create a "wait event section", I guess.

> - three entries about adding --all to {reindexdb,vacuumdb,clusterdb}.

The problem with merging these is that the "Specifically, --all can now
be used with" is different for all three of them.

> - an entry about adding long options to pg_archivecleanup

Well, that is a user-visible change.  Should it not be listed?

> - two entries about grantable maintenance rights, once via pg_maintain, once
>   per-table

Well, one is a GRANT and another is a role, so merging them seemed like
it would be too confusing.

> - separate entries about pg_stat_reset_slru(), pg_stat_reset_shared("slru"),

They are different functions with different detail text.