Re: Unable to connect to Postgres13 server from psql client built on master - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: Unable to connect to Postgres13 server from psql client built on master
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 12:47:54AM -0700, sirisha chamarthi wrote:

> I am unable to connect to my Postgres server (version 13 running) in Azure
> Postgres from the PSQL client built on the latest master. However, I am
> able to connect to the Postgres 15 server running locally on the machine. I
> installed an earlier version of the PSQL client (v 12) and was able to
> connect to both the Azure PG instance as well as the local instance. Can
> this be a bug in the master? I tried looking at the server logs in Azure
> but couldn't get anything meaningful from those. Any tips on how I can
> debug psql client further?
>
> root@userspgdev:/usr/local/pgsql# psql -U postgres -h
> inst.postgres.database.azure.com -d postgres
> Password for user postgres:
> psql (12.9 (Ubuntu 12.9-0ubuntu0.20.04.1), server 13.6)
> WARNING: psql major version 12, server major version 13.
>          Some psql features might not work.
> SSL connection (protocol: TLSv1.3, cipher: TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, bits:
> 256, compression: off)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> postgres=> \q
>
>  bin/psql -U postgres -h inst.postgres.database.azure.com -d postgres
> psql: error: connection to server at "inst.postgres.database.azure.com"
> (20.116.167.xx), port 5432 failed: FATAL:  no pg_hba.conf entry for host
> "20.125.61.xx", user "postgres", database "postgres", SSL off

It's hard to be sure without the pg_hba.conf file, but the most likely
explanation is that your remote server only accept connection with SSL and you
haven't built your local binaries with SSL support.