Re: Teach pg_receivewal to use lz4 compression - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Teach pg_receivewal to use lz4 compression
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 11:10:24AM +0530, Dilip Kumar wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 7:48 PM <gkokolatos@pm.me> wrote:
>> We can, though I am not in favour of doing so. There is seemingly
>> little benefit for added complexity.
>
> I am really not sure what complexity you are talking about, do you
> mean since with pglz we were already providing the compression level
> so let it be as it is but with the new compression method you don't
> see much benefit of providing compression level or speed?

You mean s/pglz/zlib/ here perhaps?  I am not sure what Georgios has
in mind, but my opinion stands on the latter: there is little benefit
in making lz4 faster than the default and reduce compression, as the
default is already a rather low CPU user.
--
Michael

Attachment