Re: Should we make Bitmapsets a kind of Node? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Should we make Bitmapsets a kind of Node?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 08:53:49PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
>> I don't know anybody that still runs Postgres
>> (or anything like it) on a 32-bit platform. I think that Michael
>> Paquier owns a Raspberry Pi zero, but that hardly counts.

hamster died a couple of years ago, it was a RPI1 and I have not
bought one after.  RIP to it.  I still have dangomushi, a RPI2, based
on armv7l and that's 32-bit.  Heikki has chipmunk, which is a RPI1
last time we discussed about that.  The good thing about those
machines is that they are low-energy consumers, and silent.  So it is
easy to forget about them and just let them be.

> Hmph ... three of my five buildfarm animals are 32-bit, plus I
> have got 32-bit OSes for my Raspberry Pi ;-).  Admittedly, none
> of those represent hardware someone would put a serious database
> on today.  But in terms of testing diversity, I think they're
> a lot more credible than thirty-one flavors of Linux on x86_64.

Those 32-bit modules are still being sold actively by the RPI
foundation, and used as cheap machines for education purposes, so I
think that it is still useful for Postgres to have active buildfarm
members for 32-bit architectures.
--
Michael

Attachment