Re: Backup Method - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Joseph Krogh
Subject Re: Backup Method
Date
List pgsql-general
På fredag 03. juli 2015 kl. 11:59:49, skrev howardnews@selestial.com <howardnews@selestial.com>:
Hi everyone,

I am reaching the point with my database backups where the backups are
taking too long, and starting to interfere with running of the system
during the day. So I am looking for a bit of sage advice as to how to
proceed.

For a typical server, I have a single database cluster with multiple
database that I backup nightly using sequential pg_dumps to NFS.

So what I am looking for is a backup regime with less impact that will
run overnight but faster or less impact than the pg_dump.

Would a file system backup be the better option in PITR format, or is
pg_dumpall more efficient than pg_dump?

Look forward to your advice.

Use Barman http://www.pgbarman.org/

We're continuously backing up a 1.5TB cluster without any problems. Full PITR with a window of 1 week.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Attachment