Re: Move pg_largeobject to a different tablespace *without* turning on system_table_mods. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Joseph Krogh
Subject Re: Move pg_largeobject to a different tablespace *without* turning on system_table_mods.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
På onsdag 19. oktober 2016 kl. 18:44:24, skrev Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas@visena.com> writes:
> På onsdag 19. oktober 2016 kl. 18:29:31, skrev Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us
>  I think an open question is why you would not want to move the other
>  system tables at the same time you move pg_largeobject.

> Are you saying that if I move all system-tables to the tablespace I moved
> pg_largeobject to it'll work? If so, is there a convenient way to move all
> system-tables to a tablespace?

Not sure about moving them after the fact, but you could create the
database with its default tablespace being the one you want pg_largeobject
in.

I think though that there's a fairly clear counterexample to Bruce's
question: if you're worried about moving pg_largeobject at all, you
probably are trying to put it on a relatively large and slow storage
device.  You don't necessarily want all the system catalogs there.

regards, tom lane

Thanks for the tip. How do I conveniently move all the tables/indexes/sequences etc. (basically everything in schema=public) except the system-tables to another tablespace?
I don't see any "ALTER SCHEMA public SET TABLESPACE myspace" command...

This is great when dealing with new databases, but do you have any hints helping me out getting pg_upgrade working now that I already have moved pg_largeobject (see my answer to Bruce)?

Thanks.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS