Cannot get query to use btree-gin index when ORDER BY - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andreas Joseph Krogh
Subject Cannot get query to use btree-gin index when ORDER BY
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi all.

Using PG-9.4

I have a query which goes something like this

The simplified schema is like this:

CREATE TABLE message(
id serial PRIMARY KEY,
subject varchar NOT NULL,
folder_id integer NOT NULL REFERENCES folder(id),
received timestamp not null,
fts_all tsvector
);

create index message_fts_all_folder_idx ON message using gin (fts_all, folder_id);

SELECT m.id, m.subject
  FROM message m
WHERE m.folder_id = 1 AND m.fts_all @@ to_tsquery('simple', 'foo')
ORDER BY received DESC LIMIT 10;

On my dataset it uses an index I have on (folder_id, received DESC), then filters the result, which is not optimal when searching in > 1million messages and the result is large and I'm only after the first (newest) 10.

What I'd like is to have an index like this:

create index message_fts_all_folder_idx ON message using gin (fts_all, folder_id, received DESC);

but GIN doesn't allow ASC/DESC modifiers.

Any hints on how to optimize this?

Thanks.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh