Sv: Practical usage of large objects. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Joseph Krogh
Subject Sv: Practical usage of large objects.
Date
List pgsql-general
På onsdag 13. mai 2020 kl. 19:53:38, skrev Dmitry Igrishin <dmitigr@gmail.com>:
Hello all,

As you know, PostgreSQL has a large objects facility [1]. I'm curious
are there real systems which are use this feature? I'm asking because
and I'm in doubt should the Pgfe driver [2] provide the convenient API
for working with large objects or not.

Thanks!

Yea, we use LOs, because using JDBC bytea reallys doesn't stream (at least using the pgjdbc-ng driver). When retrieving bytea using JDBC it retunrs an InputStream but it's backed by an in-memory byte[]. With LOs and java.sql.Blob (which the standard pgjdbc-dirver doesn't support ,but pgjdbc-ng does) it acutally uses strams and memory is kept down to a minimum.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh