Note on new Windows installer - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From David Raymond
Subject Note on new Windows installer
Date
List pgsql-novice
I noticed the release notes for this recent release commented on the Windows installers and the permissions issues etc.
Buta note for others who are about to upgrade, coming from someone who just used the Enterprise DB installer to
upgrade:It's gonna take longer than normal for a minor release, and the installer doesn't give you any information on
what'sgoing on. If you have an existing DB it's going to try and fix the permissions on the DB files. For me that took
justshort of a full hour, during almost all of which the installer sat with a 0% done progress bar and just "preparing
toinstall" as the text, not changing a single pixel on its screen. Since it was waiting on a Windows process to do its
thingin the background it also meant the installer was showing 0% processor usage and 0 disk usage for almost the full
hourwhile that permissions thing was happening.

It's not frozen, and the cancel button works just fine, it's just waiting on icacls (I think it was) to do its thing,
sopatience is required, but it will eventually complete and install everything ok.

(Probably to the wrong list, but this is the one I'm subscribed to, so my apologies)