Re: Problems with UPDATE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Evan Zane Macosko
Subject Re: Problems with UPDATE
Date
List pgsql-general
orf is a primary key.  It is a unique string that links the tables.

Essentially, the setup is this: I am presented with data called
transcription profiles.  These contain two columns: orf, which is a unique
representation of a biological gene, and induction, which is a number.
Now, unfortunately, these profiles do not contain all of the known orfs,
and also they can sometimes contain orfs that do not exist.  so, when I
want to load in a profile to my database, i need to select all the
inductions from temp whose orfs exist in the master table.  This master
table, yeast1, is very big--perhaps 600 columns.  Basically, I'm just
adding columns to the database, and I'm looping it in Perl DBI.  I
wondered if there was a fast batch way to do that.

On a related note, I had another question for everyone: I need to do
calculations with these induction numbers--I need to select the entire
table of inductions, load them into a matrix, and pass them to a
computational C program through perl/cgi.  This step is obviously quite
rate-limiting, as it takes a very long time to select all from such a
large table (yeast1).  perhaps my database design is a little messed
up--basically, I'm hoping someone will tell me the best way to load,
store, and access this kind of data.

Hope this clarifies!

Thanks everyone,
Evan