Re: Maximum Performance -> File System? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Andy Ruhl
Subject Re: Maximum Performance -> File System?
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Jean Huveneers wrote:

> And multi-processor usage depends on your linux kernel.

Or FreeBSD or anything else of course.

> But what is the best file system to use?
> I'm going to run postgres on a IDE-RAID5 (hardware from 3Ware) ATA-100
> system, total capacity around the 160GB, anybody had any good or bad
> experience with different File systems (ext2, ext3, reiser, etc)?

If raw volumes were supported (like they are with some commercial
databases), then I'd say that they would be the fastest because they have
no filesystem. But I don't know if they are supported with postgres.

Andy

--
acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org