Re: [HACKERS] postgres initdb on ALPHA/Digital Unix - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] postgres initdb on ALPHA/Digital Unix
Date
Re: [HACKERS] postgres initdb on ALPHA/Digital Unix  ("Kent S. Gordon" <kgor@inetspace.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Maarten Boekhold wrote:

> > > I have already posted this problem to the pgsql-ports mailing list,
> > > but it is less that totally evident from our remote location what is
> > > the best strategy, so I await developments here on 64 bit issues with
> > > interest.
>
> >     Hell, if it helps any, I'll do the manual aspect of this if
> > someone wants to give me access to their machine, and try to work with
> > Bruce on this *shrug*
>
> Does this problem only appear on ALPHA machines or also on other 64 bit
> architectures? I might be able to find a 64 bit machine on my university
> on which I can do a compile/initdb/gdb run if that helps....

    We just also had a report from one Dec ALPHA user that he's been
using PostgreSQL since the v6.0 days with no problems...most curious...

> sparc stations 20 are 32 bits aren't they? Then that machine does not
> qualify. We are getting an ultra-sparc soon though, and there might be
> some alpha's around.

    I hate to sound stupid, but an Ultra1...that's a 64bit machine?
If so, then I too have been running it on a 64bit machine, with absolutely
no problems, for almost 6 months now...