Re: hardware and For PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ben
Subject Re: hardware and For PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
It would probably help you to spend some time browsing the archives of
this list for questions similar to yours - you'll find quite a lot of
consistent answers. In general, you'll find that:

- If you can fit your entire database into memory, you'll get the best
   performance.

- If you cannot (and most databases cannot) then you'll want to get the
   fastest disk system you can.

- For reads, RAID5 isn't so bad but for writes it's near the bottom of the
   options. RAID10 is not as efficient in terms of hardware, but if you
   want performance for both reads and writes, you want RAID10.

- Your RAID card also matters. Areca cards are expensive, and a lot of
   people consider them to be worth it.

- More procs tend to be better than faster procs, because more procs let
   you do more at once and databases tend to be i/o bound more than cpu
   bound.

- More or faster procs put more contention on the data, so getting more or
   better cpus just increases the need for faster disks or more ram.

- PG is 64 bit if you compile it to be so, or if you install a 64-bit
   binary package.

....and all that said, application and schema design can play a far more
important role in performance than hardware.