Re: Video storage in Postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From JoshuaKramer
Subject Re: Video storage in Postgres?
Date
Re: Video storage in Postgres?  ("Bob Zurek" <bob.zurek@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
This, along with the "appropriate apps for mySQL", reminds me of the
Parable of the Porsche that I just made up.

My buddy Bob wanted to tow a horse trailer with a Porsche.  He could haul
the jockeys around to drive horses listed in the directories at different
stables, but he'd love to haul his horses with his Porsche.

Bob decided to seek the expertise of wise men Chris Titus and Tim Taylor.
"Yes, you can haul a horse trailer with a Porsche, but it won't be easy.
You see, the Porsche is not designed to haul trailers.  You need something
that is, but is also a Porsche."

So the wise men thought some more.  "You must get a Volkswagen Toureg with
the diesel V10, for diesels are designed to tow trailers.  Then, to
satisfy the requirement of it being a Porsche, you must purchase the
fenders, bumpers, and other bling from a Porsche Cayenne and fix it to
your Toureg.  Then you will have a Porsche that can tow a horse trailer."

Moral of the story: Yep, you can tow a horse trailer with a Porsche, or
serve video with your DB server, or base your enterprise app on MySQL -
but it just isn't right.  :)

In all seriousness, what advantages accrue by serving video from the DB?

Cheers,
JK

BTW - there's a guy near where I live who drives a Cayenne.  I've always
wanted to go up to him and comment on how nice his Taureg is - but that
just wouldn't be right, now would it? ;) The two SUV's are actually the
same platform; the Porsche just has differently styled bling.