Re: Dell Hardware Recommendations - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From david@lang.hm
Subject Re: Dell Hardware Recommendations
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Decibel! wrote:

> You'd be surprised. I've seen more than one case of a bunch of drives
> failing within a month, because they were all bought at the same time.

> Sure, but the odds of that with RAID5 are 100%, while they're much less
> in a RAID10.

so you go with Raid6, not Raid5.

> True. In this case, the OP will probably want to have one array for the
> OLTP stuff and one for the OLAP stuff.

one thing that's interesting is that the I/O throughlut on the large SATA
drives can actually be higher then the faster, but smaller SCSI drives.
the SCSI drives can win on seeking, but how much seeking you need to do
depends on how large the OLTP database ends up being

David Lang