Re: Dell Hardware Recommendations - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Decibel!
Subject Re: Dell Hardware Recommendations
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 08:58:19PM -0500, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> > > I'd think that kind of failure mode is pretty uncommon, unless you're
> > > in an environment where physical shocks are common.  which is not a
> > > typical database environment.  (tell that to the guys writing a db for
> > > a modern tank fire control system though :) )

You'd be surprised. I've seen more than one case of a bunch of drives
failing within a month, because they were all bought at the same time.

> > > Yes, but the RIGHT two drives can kill EITHER RAID 5 or RAID10.

Sure, but the odds of that with RAID5 are 100%, while they're much less
in a RAID10.

> > > While I agree with Merlin that for OLTP a faster drive is a must, for
> > > OLAP, more drives is often the real key.  The high aggregate bandwidth
> > > of a large array of SATA drives is an amazing thing to watch when
> > > running a reporting server with otherwise unimpressive specs.

True. In this case, the OP will probably want to have one array for the
OLTP stuff and one for the OLAP stuff.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Attachment