Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua Kramer
Subject Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Andrew,

> On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 02:33:17AM +0800, Shashank Tripathi wrote:
>
>> My simple point is that PgSQL should be, and can be, easier to
>> integrate with market leading platforms such as Cpanel and Plesk.
>
> You've now made this claim three times in the thread without any
> argument for it.  For those of us who happily tra-la through life

I think the claim itself is an argument.  Here's how I view it:

1. The end goal is increased usage of PostgreSQL.
2. Reaching the end goal can be accelerated via effort on our part.
3. Effort can be any of:
     a) Promoting PG through:
         i.   Writing Whitepapers
         ii.  Giving Talks at Conferences
         iii. Manning booths at conferences,
         iv.  et al.
     b) Contributing to other apps with wide usage, such as Plesk and
         CPanel, such that their wide usage coupled with making PG
         easy to use with them increases PG's usage.

I won't argue for or against any team members doing item b.  However,
Shashank noted that there *are* MySQL people doing this, and their effort
is paying off.  Ergo, if some of our community wanted to expend effort in
"integration efforts" rather than "promotion efforts", Postgres would gain
additional traction in the web hosting community.  That's what Shashank is
saying.

Cheers,
-J