Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 02:33:17AM +0800, Shashank Tripathi wrote:

> My simple point is that PgSQL should be, and can be, easier to
> integrate with market leading platforms such as Cpanel and Plesk.

You've now made this claim three times in the thread without any
argument for it.  For those of us who happily tra-la through life
without ever having to use either of these platforms, perhaps you
could outline what the barriers are and how you think those could be
reduced.  That would be more helpful to your goal, I think, than
repeating that MySQL has good marketing.  I don't think the latter is
exactly news hereabouts.

One other note:

> To the point of training, no one trains MySQL folks (by and large). They
> train themselves.

You're right about this, and every time I have to go through the
trial of implementing anything originally designed for MySQL, I am
reminded of it.  So there is another requirement that you appear not
to be acknowledging: the PostgreSQL community isn't that interested
in gaining market share if it requires sacrificing correctness.  I
have seen many proposals for, "Make PostgreSQL easier," which
actually unpack into, "Make PostgreSQL less rigourous."  Those
proposals do tend to get a frosty reception, and if you expect that
to stop, I think you will be disappointed.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Unfortunately reformatting the Internet is a little more painful
than reformatting your hard drive when it gets out of whack.
        --Scott Morris