Re: SCSI vs SATA - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From david@lang.hm
Subject Re: SCSI vs SATA
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, david@lang.hm wrote:
>
>>  On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>
>> >  Based on experience I think that on average server drives are more
>> >  reliable than consumer grade drives, and can take more punishment.
>>
>>  this I am not sure about
>
> I think they should survey Tivo owners next time.
>
> Perfect stress-testing environment.  Mine runs at over 50C most of the time,
> and it's writing 2 video streams 24/7.  What more could you do to punish a
> drive? :)

and the drives that are in them are consumer IDE drives.

I will admit that I've removed to cover from my tivo to allow it to run
cooler, and I'm still on the origional drive + 100G drive I purchased way
back when (7+ years ago) before I removed the cover I did have times when
the tivo would die from the heat (Los Angeles area in the summer with no
A/C)

David Lang