Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Anton de Wet
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, mdean wrote:

> Guys, a multiple perspective is important.  Your perspective is valid, but
> doesn't address the true purpose of these easy certs.  They are designed to
> give the companies involved larger mind space among programmers, admins, and
> companies hiring them. They are a self-fulfilling prophecy -- here is our
> trained army of certified blah blahs.  Of course the tests are easy.  They
> are meant to suck in the maximum number of mediocre technos with large
> training fees, while at the same time getting commitments from these folks to
> be a Microsoft "something" or an Oracle "something" or a Redhat something.
> The cream of the crop are then enticed into tougher courses with larger fees.
> Certification is a Profit Center  And don't mistake their force.  a MSCE does
> get more money, does find it easier to get hired in small companies. Maybe
> Postgresql should think like the big companies.  Establish a Postgreesql
> certification process as a profit center, where the profits can be funnelled
> into bounties for getting development things done with the database.  No
> matter who we are, money drives our efforts.  Pervasive demonstrated that.
> But for every good writer like Momjean there are 100 programmers less gifted
> in human relationships who need to eat.  Instead of a guru in charge which I
> will call the linus model, a long range blueprint or roadmap could be
> constructed by the core group, with bounties placed on the less heroic
> development efforts that cause no increase in presitge.  And a bonus system
> for work completed on time could be established.

As someone that is constantly selling into corporates, this is sad (except
for the money part) but true. For accountants that have NO idea what the
techspeak mean, the only thing they have to trust is those little pieces
of paper from companies they have heard from.

I think the quality of the RedHat certs are higher than some of the
others, and that is something we should strive for.

Anton

--
Forgiveness is giving up all hope for a better past