Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD

From: Anton de Wet
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD
Date: ,
List: pgsql-general

Tree view

Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
 Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Martijn van Oosterhout, )
  Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Bruce Momjian, )
 Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Josh Berkus, )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on  (Bruce Momjian, )
      Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on  (Alvaro Herrera, )
       Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner, )
        Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on  (Martijn van Oosterhout, )
         Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner, )
          Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on  (Martijn van Oosterhout, )
         Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on  (Peter Eisentraut, )
          Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on  ("Tomi NA", )
     Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Chris Travers, )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Anton de Wet, )
     Training (from Thought provoking...)  (, )
      Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Training (from Thought provoking...)  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
      Re: Training (from Thought provoking...)  (Alban Hertroys, )
     Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Bricklen Anderson, )
      Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
       Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (mdean, )
        Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Anton de Wet, )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Robert Treat, )
    Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Bruno Wolff III, )
     Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Scott Marlowe, )
      Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Ron Johnson, )
       Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Tom Lane, )
        Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Ron Johnson, )
         Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Tom Lane, )
          Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Ron Johnson, )
      Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Shane Ambler, )
       Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Tim Tassonis, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Bruce Momjian, )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
     Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Bill Moran, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Martijn van Oosterhout, )

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, mdean wrote:

> Guys, a multiple perspective is important.  Your perspective is valid, but
> doesn't address the true purpose of these easy certs.  They are designed to
> give the companies involved larger mind space among programmers, admins, and
> companies hiring them. They are a self-fulfilling prophecy -- here is our
> trained army of certified blah blahs.  Of course the tests are easy.  They
> are meant to suck in the maximum number of mediocre technos with large
> training fees, while at the same time getting commitments from these folks to
> be a Microsoft "something" or an Oracle "something" or a Redhat something.
> The cream of the crop are then enticed into tougher courses with larger fees.
> Certification is a Profit Center  And don't mistake their force.  a MSCE does
> get more money, does find it easier to get hired in small companies. Maybe
> Postgresql should think like the big companies.  Establish a Postgreesql
> certification process as a profit center, where the profits can be funnelled
> into bounties for getting development things done with the database.  No
> matter who we are, money drives our efforts.  Pervasive demonstrated that.
> But for every good writer like Momjean there are 100 programmers less gifted
> in human relationships who need to eat.  Instead of a guru in charge which I
> will call the linus model, a long range blueprint or roadmap could be
> constructed by the core group, with bounties placed on the less heroic
> development efforts that cause no increase in presitge.  And a bonus system
> for work completed on time could be established.

As someone that is constantly selling into corporates, this is sad (except
for the money part) but true. For accountants that have NO idea what the
techspeak mean, the only thing they have to trust is those little pieces
of paper from companies they have heard from.

I think the quality of the RedHat certs are higher than some of the
others, and that is something we should strive for.

Anton

--
Forgiveness is giving up all hope for a better past