Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD - Mailing list pgsql-general

From mdean
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD
Date
List pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Training I agree with, but certifications can go either way.

Guys, a multiple perspective is important.  Your perspective is valid,
but doesn't address the true purpose of these easy certs.  They are
designed to give the companies involved larger mind space among
programmers, admins, and companies hiring them. They are a
self-fulfilling prophecy -- here is our trained army of certified blah
blahs.  Of course the tests are easy.  They are meant to suck in the
maximum number of mediocre technos with large training fees, while at
the same time getting commitments from these folks to be a Microsoft
"something" or an Oracle "something" or a Redhat something.  The cream
of the crop are then enticed into tougher courses with larger fees.
Certification is a Profit Center  And don't mistake their force.  a MSCE
does get more money, does find it easier to get hired in small companies.
Maybe Postgresql should think like the big companies.  Establish a
Postgreesql certification process as a profit center, where the profits
can be funnelled into bounties for getting development things done with
the database.  No matter who we are, money drives our efforts.
Pervasive demonstrated that.  But for every good writer like Momjean
there are 100 programmers less gifted in human relationships who need to
eat.  Instead of a guru in charge which I will call the linus model, a
long range blueprint or roadmap could be constructed by the core group,
with bounties placed on the less heroic development efforts that cause
no increase in presitge.  And a bonus system for work completed on time
could be established.

JMTCWAAMG
Michael