Re: pg_get_domaindef - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Gavin Sherry
Subject Re: pg_get_domaindef
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> ... convincing use-case that will justify the maintenance load we
> >> are setting up for ourselves.  "Somebody might want this" is not
> >> adequate.
>
> > I realize it is problem to have the function in two places in our code,
> > but if we don't make a user-accessible version, every application has to
> > roll their own version and update it for our system catalog changes.
>
> Nope, wrong, you are assuming the conclusion.  Exactly which apps have
> to have this?

Well, the alternative interfaces like pgadmin and ppa. That said, I prefer
the idea of breaking out the queries in pg_dump and psql into a library.
Like you say up thread, that's a big project and it's an all or nothing
proposition.

Thanks,

Gavin