Re: libpgtcl.so? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From C. Maj
Subject Re: libpgtcl.so?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Vickriz Buenaventuura waxed:

> thanx foor your reply Brett..
> it did run now my pgaccess gui. but there's still error inside of pgaccess.
>
> 1.creating new database an error will pop.:
> Tcl error executing pg_exec CREATE DATABASE test1 can not find channel named " ".

The problem here is that you aren't yet connected to any
database.  If you can download the latest version, there is
a wizard you can use that makes creating a new database
much, much easier.  You just need to click on the button
with a "wand" on it instead of typing in a database name
right away.  Download from here:

http://www.pgaccess.org/index.php?page=Download

I recommend the "pgaccess.bin" file, for the Linux Starpack.
It is a one file download.  Just chmod 755 this file and run
it.  No dependencies involved.

> 2.after that error i connect to a host and error pop:
> Error trying to connect to database 'polmap' on host 172.blah.blah.blah
> PostgreSQL error message: Connection to database failed Fatal: Password authentication failed user "kriz".
> -I have typed correct user/password and im the superuser of my database. i really dont know what the error cost. but
whenim opening it again my pgaccess i was connected to that host i create.

It sounds like you have some stale connections.  Try
removing the ~/.pgaccess/connections file.

> 3.when im trying to open at my host connect database tree i cant access them. an error tells me:
> Could not find a good db handle.
> Could not find PG version of the database.

Try clicking "OK", I think that's a bogus error you are
getting, so just try ignoring it for right now.

> 4.on my frustrations i close thhe pgaccess[gui] then open it again.  this is what i get:
>
> [vvbuenaventura@localhost vvbuenaventura]$ pgaccess
> Error in startup script: bad option "-1": must be -exact, -glob, -regexp, or --
>     while executing
> "switch $res {
>         0 {
>             # they hit ok
>         }
>         1 {
>             # they need help
>             if {[string length $helptopic]>0} {..."
>     (procedure "showError" line 10)
>     invoked from within
> "showError $m open_database"
>     (procedure "::Connections::openConn" line 137)
>     invoked from within
> "::Connections::openConn $i"
>     (procedure "main" line 60)
>     invoked from within
> "main $argc $argv"
>     (file "/usr/X11R6/bin/pgaccess" line 1172)
> =======================

Oops, this was a bug.  It should read "switch -- $res {" on
that first line there.  Brett fixed this very recently, and
it should be available in the release coming out at the end
of this week.

> can u tell me what im missing to configure?

It's actually gotten much easier to setup PgAccess than the
route you took.

> and what does the -pgintcl command line i found in help suggested me? where and how should i use it?

It loads a pure-Tcl interface, pgin.tcl, so that you can
connect to PostgreSQL without worrying about any C files.
This is the default behaviour if the dll/so files do not
exist.  You shouldn't have to worry about it if you download
the latest version I mentioned above.

--Chris

--
Chris Maj, Rochester