Re: book for postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bret Busby
Subject Re: book for postgresql
Date
Problems with pgsql mail servers?  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Christopher Browne wrote:

> Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:57:13 -0500
> From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org>
> To: "pgsql-admin@postgresql.org.pgsql-general"@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] book for postgresql
>
> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, ewong@mail.com (Ed Wong) wrote:
> > I am an oracle dba and new to postgresql.  Could you tell me what is
> > the best postgres book out there to start with?  I am looking for a
> > book which is sort of a complete reference including some dba chapters
> > as well.
>
> There are three fairly good books in printed form:
>
> - New Riders has one that is about the most recent one published,
>   which, it seems to me, has about the best explanation of the query
>   optimizer going, as well as quite a lot of other fairly deep
>   technical material;
>
> - Addison Wesley published Bruce Momjian's book which is getting a bit
>   dated, but which is still quite good;
>
> - O'Reilly has a third one that is also "dated but good."
>
> The online material is also a good source, and is commonly included
> along with the PostgreSQL installation.
>
> All four of these sources are quite good.  I have all but Bruce's book
> on my desk...

For some strange reason, the message above, took somewhat over
three months to come through, maybe due to the To address in the header
(?).

I am wondering whether, given that Bruce Momjian's book appears to be
regarded as "a bit dated", a 2nd Edition is on the way?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."