Re: What can we learn from MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dennis Bjorklund
Subject Re: What can we learn from MySQL?
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] What can we learn from MySQL?
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> When I ask about non-standard complience of Pg (turning unquoted
> identifiers to lowercase instead of uppercase, violating the SQL
> standard, and requring an expensive rewrite of clients), and I get the
> answer "uppercase is ugly", I think something is wrong.

I would love if someone fixed pg so that one can get the standard
behaviour. It would however have to be a setting that can be changed so we
are still backward compatible.

> that even if I write a patch to start migration, I'm not likely to get
> it in.

Just changing to uppercase would break old code so such a patch should not
just be commited. But would people stop a patch that is backward
compatible (in the worst case a setting during initdb)? I'm not so sure
they will.

--
/Dennis Björklund