Re: What can we learn from MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Subject Re: What can we learn from MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Karel Zak wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 01:05:21PM +0700, David Garamond wrote:
>
>>So in my opinion, as long as the general awareness about RDBMS (on what
>>tasks/responsibilities it should do, what features it generally has to
>>have, etc) is low, people will be looking at MySQL as "good enough" and
>>will not be motivated to look around for something better. As a
>>comparison, I'm always amazed by people who use Windows 95/98/Me. They
>>find it normal/"good enough" that the system crashes every now and then,
>>has to be rebooted every few hours (or every time they install
>>something). They don't know of anything better.
>

>  Agree. People don't know that an RDBMS can be more better.
>
>  A lot of users think speed  is the most important thing. And they check
>  the performance  of SQL server by  "time mysql -e "SELECT..."  but they
>  don't know something about concurrency or locking.

Even worse: They benchmark "SELECT 1+1" one million times.
The performance of "SELECT 1+1" has NOTHING to do with the REAL
performance of a database.
Has anybody seen the benchmarks on MySQL??? They have benchmarked
"CREATE TABLE" and so forth. This is the most useless thing I have ever
seen.

It is so annoying _ I had to post it ;).

    Regards,

        Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria