Re: Build farm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Build farm
Date
Re: Build farm  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan writes:

> Maybe it wouldn't be of great value to PostgreSQL. And maybe it would. I
> have an open mind about it. I don't think incompleteness is an argument
> against it, though.

If you want to do it, by all means go for it.  I'm sure it would give
everyone a fuzzy feeling to see the green lights everywhere.  But
realistically, don't expect any significant practical benefits, such
cutting beta time by 10%.

The Samba build daemon suite is pretty good.  We have a couple of those
hosts in our office in fact.  (I think they're building PostgreSQL
regularly as well.)  A tip: You might find that adopting the source code
of the Samba suite to PostgreSQL is harder than writing a new one.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net