Re: row description for domain in 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: row description for domain in 7.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
John DeSoi writes:

> To me this seems completely wrong. The whole point of getting the
> domain is so that I can know how I should parse the result coming from
> the server. If I use a text domain, I can't distinguish the domain
> column from any other text column and perform some other kind of
> processing on the data.

No, the whole point of domains is to restrict a datum (column, etc.) of a
certain type to a subset of the allowable values.  But the data is still
of the same type, so it is generally inappropriate to treat it differently
in the client or anywhere else where type identity matters.  If you dig
through the SQL standard, you will see this theme throughout.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net