Re: A creepy story about dates. How to prevent it? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: A creepy story about dates. How to prevent it?
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane writes:

> Other than me, I think you mean.  dd/mm/yyyy and mm/dd/yyyy are
> inherently ambiguous in the real world, and when you can clearly
> determine what the intended meaning is, I think it's more reasonable
> to assume the datestyle isn't set correctly than to reject the data.

That might even make the slightest sense if the supposedly wrong datestyle
would then stay switched.  But the automatic switching only happens for a
certain subsets of inputs and only in that instance.  So if a user did
really mean the opposite setting he will not be happy, and if the user did
not mean the opposite setting he will not be happy either.  So no one is
happy.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net