Re: Thread configure flag - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Thread configure flag
Date
Re: Thread configure flag  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian writes:

> If it is the default, libpq is going to use the libc_r library, at least
> on some platforms, and that may not be desired.

But what is the objective reason for this lack of desire?

> One funny thing is that on BSD/OS and NetBSD, because there are no
> thread compile flags, function names, or libraries, libpq is the same
> code with or without the flag.  ecpg, however, has thread calls, and is
> effected on every platform.

Well, I'm pretty sure that the current thread options are overkill and can
be simplified.  For instance, on Linux the template currently claims

THREAD_CFLAGS="-D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS"

_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS isn't used anywhere in the entire system, the
effect of _THREAD_SAFE is to define _REENTRANT, and the effect of
_REENTRANT is to declare getlogin_r(), which PostgreSQL sources don't use.
In other words, this can be removed.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net