Re: Thread configure flag - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Thread configure flag
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane writes:

> When Bruce and I discussed this last week, we assumed you'd object if
> we did not do it this way ;-).  --with-threads is a feature that can't
> be supported on some platforms.  Usually you argue that configure
> shouldn't auto-enable features in some places and not others.

But this isn't the same thing as supporting some external package.  If
readline is missing, you install it and repeat.  But if thread-safeness is
missing, there's nothing you can do.  Therefore I think that the default
behavior should be to do as good as the operating system can.

Consider this: If an operating system did not support thread-safe
applications outright (do such operating systems exist?) then users would
never get the idea to write thread-safe libpq applications, so the option
to make a thread-safe libpq would be useless.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net