Re: sql_ascii - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: sql_ascii
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dennis Björklund writes:

> Why do we have SQL_ASCII?

It gives a simple default behavior for people who don't want to deal with
character set issues.

> I could understand it if we only could store 7-bit strings there. But
> SQL_ASCII lets you store 8-bit values. Should I understand SQL_ASCII
> simply as 8-bit strings of unknown charset?

Something like that.  On the client side you could also understand it as
whatever the server is using, as long as that's single-byte.  On the
server side it's 7-bit clean and 8-bit sometimes-clean.  It's not pretty.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net