Re: more contrib: log rotator - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: more contrib: log rotator
Date
Re: more contrib: log rotator  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> Seems like a good bare-bones file writer; but how about all those
> frammishes that people ask for like generating date-based filenames,
> switching every so many bytes, etc?  Also, it'd be nice not to be
> dependent on a cron job to tickle the switchover.

Linux systems have a standard system log rotation mechanism (see
logrotate(8)), which can rotate logs by size and time and has a number of
other features.  I would rather depend on that kind of preferred system
mechanism than rolling out our own.  And we already depend on cron for
vacuuming anyway.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net