Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re: - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re:
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Tom Lane writes:

> We could retarget to try to stay under SHMMAX=4M, which I think is
> the next boundary that's significant in terms of real-world platforms
> (isn't that the default SHMMAX on some BSDen?).  That would allow us
> 350 or so shared_buffers, which is better, but still not really a
> serious choice for production work.

What is a serious choice for production work?  And what is the ideal
choice?  The answer probably involves some variables, but maybe we should
get values for those variables in each case and work from there.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net