Re: Status report: regex replacement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Status report: regex replacement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tatsuo Ishii writes:

> > UTF-8 seems to be the most popular, but even XML standard requires all
> > compliant implementations to deal with at least both UTF-8 and UTF-16.
>
> I don't think PostgreSQL is going to natively support UTF-16.

At FOSDEM it was claimed that Windows natively uses UCS-2, and there are
also continuing rumours that the Java Unicode encoding is not quite UTF-8,
so there is going to be a certain pressure to support other Unicode
encodings besides UTF-8.

As for the names, the SQL standard defines most of those.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net