Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re: - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re:
Date
Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re:
List pgsql-advocacy
Tom Lane wrote:
<snip>
> Uh ... do we have a basis for recommending any particular sets of
> parameters for these different scenarios?  This could be a good idea
> in the abstract, but I'm not sure I know enough to fill in the details.
>
> A lower-tech way to accomplish the same result is to document these
> alternatives in postgresql.conf comments and encourage people to review
> that file, as Steve Crawford just suggested.  But first we need the raw
> knowledge.

Without too much hacking around, you could pretty easily adapt the
pg_autotune code to do proper profiles of a system with different settings.

i.e. increment one setting at a time, run pgbench on it with some decent
amount of transactions and users, stuff the results into a different
database.  Aggregate data over time kind of thing.  Let it run for a
week, etc.

If it's helpful, there's a 100% spare Althon 1.6Ghz box around with
(choose your OS) + Adaptec 29160 + 512MB RAM + 2 x 9GB Seagate Cheetah
10k rpm drives hanging around.  No stress to set that up and let it run
any long terms tests you'd like plus send back results.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

>             regards, tom lane

    - Indira Gandhi