Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re: - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re:
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Uh ... do we have a basis for recommending any particular sets of
>> parameters for these different scenarios?  This could be a good idea
>> in the abstract, but I'm not sure I know enough to fill in the details.

> Without too much hacking around, you could pretty easily adapt the
> pg_autotune code to do proper profiles of a system with different settings.

> i.e. increment one setting at a time, run pgbench on it with some decent
> amount of transactions and users, stuff the results into a different
> database.

If I thought that pgbench was representative of anything, or even
capable of reliably producing repeatable numbers, then I might subscribe
to results derived this way.  But I have little or no confidence in
pgbench.  Certainly I don't see how you'd use it to produce
recommendations for a range of application scenarios, when it's only
one very narrow scenario itself.

            regards, tom lane