Re: more adequate usage msg: pg_controldata.diff - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: more adequate usage msg: pg_controldata.diff
Date
List pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian writes:

> It is my understanding that -a and the like are _flags_.  PGDATA is an
> optional argument, or "option" for short.  I don't see how having a dash
> is required to make something an option.  When I do:
>
>     cat [-t -v] [file ...]
>
> I consider "file" to be an optional argument, or option.  It of course
> isn't a flag.

I disagree.  The things passed to the main()  function are "arguments",
hence the names argc and argv.  The things with the dashes are "options",
hence the name of the function getopt().  There are optional arguments,
there are optional options.  Also, options can take arguments or not.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net