Re: 7.3b3 on MacOSX 10.2.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: 7.3b3 on MacOSX 10.2.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> No, there should be ~80 tests in all.  I'm not sure why the pg_regress
> script is failing to process the remaining tests when this happens; any
> ideas out there?

It appears that the shell simply aborts on fork failure.  Example:

peter ~$ cat test.sh
ulimit -u 30

for i in $(seq 1 25); do   echo $i   ( sleep 5 ) &   echo ok
done

wait
echo "all done"
peter ~$ sh test.sh
1
ok
2
test.sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
peter ~$

In pg_regress, the big loop is probably done in a subshell, because it's
in a pipe, so the outer script can complete.  Detecting failures in
commands in a pipe is of course a bit tricky.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net