Re: hacker help: PHP-4.2.3 patch to allow restriction of - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: hacker help: PHP-4.2.3 patch to allow restriction of
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jim Mercer writes:

> ideally, i'd like to have users-per-database, as opposed to the global
> model we have now.

That's in the works.  Some form of this will be in 7.3.

> if we are willing to modify libpq to support a "white-list", then what you
> are suggesting is quite possible.

How would you store such a list and prevent users from simply unsetting
it?

> i suspect the php-dev people are unhappy with my patch because it is including
> logic (ie. parsing the white-list) which they don't think php should be
> responsible for.

From my reading of the discussion, I think they have not understood that
the PostgreSQL server has no way to distinguish different virtual host
identities.  I think your feature is quite reasonable, if you list users
instead of databases.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net