Re: FreeBSD Packages/Port for 7.3beta1... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: FreeBSD Packages/Port for 7.3beta1...
Date
Re: FreeBSD Packages/Port for 7.3beta1...  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Sean Chittenden writes:

> I've put together some packages for the 7.3beta1 release.  The can be
> found here along with a tenative FreeBSD port:
>
>    http://66.250.180.19/postgresql-7.3beta1/

I checked out this port and made some notes that you might find useful.

[Makefile]

You can remove --enable-locale, --enable-syslog, --with-CXX as configure
arguments.  They no longer do anything.

This

LDFLAGS+=       -L${LOCALBASE}/lib -lgnugetopt
CONFIGURE_ENV+= LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS}"

is redundant.  You already put LOCALBASE/lib into --with-libs.  Also, if
you wish, we can automatically check for -lgnugetopt in configure.  We
already do that for other spellings of the same library.

I would like some details on the following.

# if you want localized messages, make -DWITH_GETTEXT
# WARNING: this seems to require relinking binaries depending on
# libpq.so, including for example mod_php and tcl.

This

CONFIGURE_ENV+= "LIBS=-lintl"
LDFLAGS+=       -L${LOCALBASE}/lib -lintl

is even more redundant, because configure checks for -lintl automatically
(and one of LIBS and LDFLAGS would have sufficed).

Multibyte is no longer an option (it's the default), so you can remove
anything that refers to it.

If you want to strip the binaries, you can use 'gmake install-strip'
instead of 'gmake install'.  It's all automatic.

[patch-ak]

I assume you're going to fix this properly sometime...

[files/patch-al]

Can be removed for beta 2.

[files/dot.*.in]

Do you need the PATH assignment?  Shouldn't the user decide for himself
what he wants in the path?  PostgreSQL certainly doesn't need the path
set, if you're concerned about that.

PGLIB hasn't done anything for several releases...

PGDATESTYLE should now be set in the configuration file, so you can remove
the environment variable assignment.

Setting locales (LC_ALL) is now best done as an option to initdb.  Be sure
to update pkg-message to that effect.  Also, the encoding should be
specified to initdb (rather than configure --enable-multibyte=ENCODING).

Not sure what the TZ assignment is supposed to accomplish.  It certainly
doesn't alter the way the regression tests turn out, as it seems to claim.
Might have been an ancient problem.

[files/patch.configure]

I think you should handle that through the makefiles.  In fact, you
probably shouldn't specify an argument to the krb options if you're
concerned about this.

[files/post-install-notes]

Be sure to revise those, as some of the things are now shipped separately
(such as PgAccess).

[scripts/configure.postgresql]

Remove multibyte option.

PostgreSQL should work with Heimdal now.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net