Re: getpid() function - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: getpid() function
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway writes:

> On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 12:01:52PM +0200, Karel Zak wrote:
> >  Is there some common convention of names?
>
> No, there isn't (for example, pg_stat_backend_id() versus
> current_schema() -- or pg_get_viewdef() versus obj_description() ).

The "pg_" naming scheme is obsolete because system and user namespaces are
now isolated.  Anything involving "get" is also redundant, IMHO, because
we aren't dealing with object-oriented things.  Besides that, the
convention in SQL seems to be to use full noun phrases with words
separated by underscores.

So if "pg_get_viewdef" where reinvented today, by me, it would be called
"view_definition".

A whole 'nother issue is to use the right terms for the right things.  For
example, the term "backend" is rather ambiguous and PostgreSQL uses it
differently from everyone else.  Instead I would use "server process" when
referring to the PID.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net